USC Verdugo Hills Hospital gives an expectant mother peace of mind.

When Linda and Goris Kadkhodazadeh found out Linda was pregnant with their third child, they had little doubt that they would return to the doctors they trusted at USC Verdugo Hills Hospital. She had already undergone two cesarean deliveries at USC-VHH for her children Alexander and Christopher, and she knew that it was the right place to care for her through this pregnancy too.

Because of excessive amniotic fluid discovered in an early ultrasound, Linda was considered at high-risk for pregnancy complications. Physicians monitored the fetus’ heart twice a week to make sure it was not in stress. Linda was worried, but also comfortable with the level of care she was receiving.

“They were very patient to answer all of my questions and concerns, and took extra time to go through the possibilities,” Linda recalls. “If it were a different hospital, I would probably have gone crazy because of my situation. I knew I was in great hands.”

Because of Linda’s high-risk status, doctors set a specific due date for delivery, again by cesarean. But four weeks prior to the delivery date, physicians diagnosed her with possible placenta accrete, a potentially life-threatening condition.

For Linda, there was also a risk her uterus would need to be removed during delivery. Every scenario was discussed and safety measures were taken to be sure that both mother and baby would survive, should drastic measures prove necessary. A team of five doctors from USC-VHH and Keck Medicine of USC consulted on the case and made sure that everyone was working closely together and ready for every possible outcome.

When the day of Linda’s delivery arrived, the doctors involved worked together to have a delivery that was both safe for mother and baby. The cesarean delivery of Sophia, a healthy baby girl, was perfect and the doctors were able to detach the placenta without incident.

“Afterward, the support I received from the hospital was great,” says Linda. “They were very cautious and very concerned, and visited me every day to make sure that I was able to safely go home. They didn’t let anything slip through the cracks.”

by Amanda Busick