A major pillar of USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is its dedicated core of volunteers. Established in 1972, the Volunteer Services Department attracts, retains and recognizes qualified in-service volunteers. Currently, there are more than 80 dedicated volunteers, ranging in ages from 18 to 84, who provide their time and talent as volunteers in many areas in the hospital. The caliber of individuals working as hospital volunteers is exceptional; many are retired professionals and business people. Last year, volunteers contributed more than 6,000 hours of services.
The Volunteer Services Department uses volunteers in the following areas:
- Main Volunteer Office
- Offers information and assistance to visitors and patients
- Transports patients, as needed
- Transporting items
- Meal Mates
- Provides companionship during mealtimes
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Completes and passes Meal Mates training, in addition to standard orientation
- Commits to one uninterrupted hour, per shift
- One to two times per week
- Three-month commitment
- Compassionate Companions
- Provides compassionate visits to patients toward the end of life, who may otherwise not have someone to be by their side
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Six-month commitment
- Completes and passes Compassionate Companions training, in addition to standard orientation
USC-VHH volunteer applicants should:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Exhibit a professional appearance and manner
- Exhibit a positive attitude
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Be dependable
- Show commitment to the hospital
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service
Rewards for volunteering at USC-VHH:
- Satisfaction of doing something for others
- Opportunity to share your skills and learn new ones
- Make a difference by serving your community
- Enjoyment of making new friends and having fun
- For student volunteers, earning service hours
Adult and Student Volunteers
We are currently accepting new volunteers for specific days and times.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us by phone or e-mail.
If you have questions regarding volunteer opportunities, please contact us at (818) 952-2215.
Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
You can also reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.