A major pillar of USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is its dedicated core of volunteers. Established in 1972, the Volunteer Services Department attracts, retains and recognizes qualified in-service volunteers. Currently, there are more than 200 dedicated volunteers, ranging in ages from 16 to 95, who provide their time and talent as volunteers in many areas in the hospital. The caliber of individuals working as hospital volunteers is exceptional; many are retired professionals and business people. Last year, volunteers contributed more than 24,000 hours of services.
The Volunteer Services Department has positions open in the following areas:
- Main Volunteer Office
- Offers information and assistance to visitors and patients
- Transports patients, as needed
- Transporting items
- Information Desk
- 4th Floor:
- Greeting visitors
- Giving clear directions and information to visitors
- Accepts all flower deliveries for patients and employees
- 3rd Floor:
- Oversees incoming patients for Admitting Department
- Serves as liaison between doctors and patients’ families
- 4th Floor:
- Meal Mates
- Provides companionship during mealtimes
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Completes and passes Meal Mates training, in addition to standard orientation
- Commits to one uninterrupted hour, per shift
- One to two times per week
- Three-month commitment
- Compassionate Companions
- Provides compassionate visits to patients toward the end of life, who may otherwise not have someone to be by their side
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Six-month commitment
- Completes and passes Compassionate Companions training, in addition to standard orientation
USC-VHH volunteer applicants should:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Exhibit a professional appearance and manner
- Exhibit a positive attitude
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Be dependable
- Show commitment to the hospital
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service
Rewards for volunteering at USC-VHH:
- Satisfaction of doing something for others
- Opportunity to share your skills and learn new ones
- Make a difference by serving your community
- Enjoyment of making new friends and having fun
- For student volunteers, earning service hours
Adult and Student Volunteers
To submit an application, please submit online here.
If you are unable to submit online, we can provide a paper copy at the Volunteer office.
Applicants will hear back from us to schedule a brief group interview, after receiving your application. Following interviews, accepted volunteers will be required to attend orientation, receive clearance with our employee health department and pass a background check (18 years of age or older).
If you have questions regarding volunteer opportunities, please contact us at (818) 952-2206.
The office is open Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Fridays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and weekends, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You can also reach us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.