A major pillar of USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is its dedicated core of volunteers. Established in 1972, the Volunteer Services Department attracts, retains and recognizes qualified in-service volunteers. Currently, there are more than 200 dedicated volunteers, ranging in ages from 16 to 95, who provide their time and talent as volunteers in many areas in the hospital. The caliber of individuals working as hospital volunteers is exceptional; many are retired professionals and business people. Last year, volunteers contributed more than 24,000 hours of services.
The Volunteer Services Department uses volunteers in the following areas:
- Main Volunteer Office
- Offers information and assistance to visitors and patients
- Transports patients, as needed
- Transporting items
- Information Desk
- 4th Floor:
- Greeting visitors
- Giving clear directions and information to visitors
- Accepts all flower deliveries for patients and employees
- 3rd Floor:
- Oversees incoming patients for Admitting Department
- Serves as liaison between doctors and patients’ families
- 4th Floor:
- Meal Mates
- Provides companionship during mealtimes
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Completes and passes Meal Mates training, in addition to standard orientation
- Commits to one uninterrupted hour, per shift
- One to two times per week
- Three-month commitment
- Compassionate Companions
- Provides compassionate visits to patients toward the end of life, who may otherwise not have someone to be by their side
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Six-month commitment
- Completes and passes Compassionate Companions training, in addition to standard orientation
USC-VHH volunteer applicants should:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Exhibit a professional appearance and manner
- Exhibit a positive attitude
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Be dependable
- Show commitment to the hospital
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service
Rewards for volunteering at USC-VHH:
- Satisfaction of doing something for others
- Opportunity to share your skills and learn new ones
- Make a difference by serving your community
- Enjoyment of making new friends and having fun
- For student volunteers, earning service hours
Adult and Student Volunteers
If you would like to participate in our volunteer program, you must complete the online application available below:
We will respond to your application by the 25th of the month. If you do not hear back by that time, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
Individuals selected as potential volunteers will be required to attend a brief group interview. After the interview, individuals accepted as volunteers will also be required to receive clearance from our employee health department, pass a background check (18 years of age or older) and attend orientation.
We are fortunate to have a great number of applicants for our volunteer program; however, the number of open volunteer opportunities varies, so it is possible that some applicants may not be asked to come in for an interview. If that is the case, applicants are welcome to apply again at a later date.
If you have questions regarding volunteer opportunities, please contact us at (818) 952-2206.
The office is open Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Fridays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and weekends, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You can also reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.